With the end of the year fast approaching, now would be an excellent time to review the influence map with the team for each important deal and to take action now on your learnings.
- Have all the decision makers and stakeholders been identified?
- Have all the influencers been identified, including partners and service providers (the answer is always no!)
- For each of these individuals, how strong is the relationship? What direction is the relationship moving — getting better, staying the same, getting worse?
- Who can say no…and why?
- When was the last time you significantly engaged with each of the important players on your influence map?
- What is your plan for improving relationships where necessary and getting commitments from each of those stakeholders and decision makers?
- If there is an incumbent to be displaced, what does their influence map look like and how much overlap is there with yours?
- What are your coaches telling you now?
The influence map is a key tool to help de-risk opportunities. If you leverage the influence map as part of your engagement and pursuit process, you are winning at a 20 to 40% higher rate and seldom, if ever, need to discount at the eleventh hour to close/win deals.
And if you aren’t yet using influence maps, and would like assistance in implementing them, let me know!
While powerful, the influence map is just one part of a professional enterprise selling toolkit. I’ll cover additional high value tools in coming days.